Monday, July 20, 2009

Last day in Kigali

Oh my God. I am currently sitting in Simba café, and as it is my last day in Kigali, I have decided to splurge and order the 5 dollar chocolate milkshake. I have never tasted anything so delicious. Yum.


We had our closing ceremonies for the Human Rights Workshop on Saturday. Then Chelsea and I went to say goodbye to our host family… and then I went dancing until 2 in the morning! Can you believe it? Me dancing at a club in Kigali?? It was so out of character for me, but I had a really fun time.


I leave for Kampala, Uganda tomorrow morning at 5 AM. Zawadi, my host sister, (and a Rwandan participant in the Human Rights workshop) will be my traveling companion. She will stay with me in Kampala until I leave for my safari on Friday morning.


In the meantime, Taryn (one of the Americans who is still in Rwanda) and I have been kicked out of St. Paul’s. (Not because we did anything naughty, but because they just don’t have any rooms available tonight). Thankfully, we found another church-run hostel that isn’t too far away.


Sunday lunch was spent at my favorite restaurant in Kigali. It’s a hole in the wall Indian place within walking distance of St. Paul’s. Over these past few weeks, I’ve made friends with the owner, his wife, and their twelve year old son. They know me by name as I’ve eaten there at least five times. Last week, they invited me to bring all of my friends to “take dinner” with their family. So I brought 8 of the delegates (some Rwandan and some American) to the restaurant Sunday afternoon, and the owner (I feel horrible because I forget his name now) made us wonderful pots of paneer (a popular Indian dish made with cheese cubes with a tofu-like consistency), lentil, and spicy mushrooms. And finally, after our feast was over, they refused to let us pay for anything. They are such a kind family; I will miss them dearly.


Today, I plan on taking a hike with Jesse (our program director) and a couple of his friends to see the sun set over Kigali. It should be a good way to say goodbye to the city.


Hope all is well with everyone… I will be back in the States in about a week and a half!

No comments:

Post a Comment