Thursday, July 9, 2009

It's a small world (and other stories)

I forgot to tell this story when it happened, but I suppose better late than never! During my first week in Kigali, some of the participants and I decided to grab lunch at a place called “Simba Café.” We had just sat down and were getting ready to order when three people entered the restaurant. I noticed two of the three were also Muzungu (white folk). And as I looked closer (as I always do when I pass another Muzungu), I started to think that one of the girls looked really familiar. And then it dawned on me – the girl walking toward me was none other than Laura Jordan; the ex senior chairwoman of the Richmond Rowdies (fan club for Richmond’s sports teams). She had graduated a year above me, but I knew her because of Rowdies and because she was friends with my friend Jessica Harkness. Actually, Jessica told me Laura was in Rwanda teaching English at a Missionary School, but I had no idea she was in Kigali. (Technically, Laura’s school is just outside of Kigali). Laura and I got to chat for a bit, I met her Rwandan boyfriend, and I may go and visit her school before I leave Rwanda. But seriously, how random is that??? She could have picked any café in Kigali… it really must be a small world.


Other possibly interesting bits of info:

Apparently, I’d make a great Rwandan wife because I’m ‘quiet’ and I ‘sip my wine slowly.’ One of the Rwandan delegates told me this a couple nights ago and I didn’t know whether to be freaked out or flattered. He’s now calling me several times a day… like some people have told me before, I'm too polite for my own good...

People here are very touchy feely. Guys that are friends will hug and do the kiss the cheek thing on a daily basis. There is also a ton of hand holding. And at first I was okay with it, but the other day, I got in one of my moods (sometimes I get cranky when people try to hug me) and may have offended one of the Rwandan delegates…

I ate an entire jar of Nutella in 24 hours… yeah I’m a little bit ashamed of that. I duno how it happened really – I went to the grocery store yesterday looking for some lunch and all I could come up with was 4 cucumbers, a box of “family crackers,” and a jar of Nutella (hazelnut/chocolate spread). Not only did the Nutella run out roughly 24 hrs later, but I also ate it all without a spoon. Valerie took a picture of me holding the empty jar. Impressive or disgusting? You decide.

Two of the eleven American delegates have decided to drop out of the program early, so we’re now down to nine…
First photo is me with my Certificate of Completion for the learning workshop (remember the 1st week here was the workshop and the 2nd and 3rd weeks are volunteering). And the second photo is of Valerie doing Yoga at St. Pauls (our home)!




No comments:

Post a Comment