Friday, July 10, 2009

Field Trip Day

We took a break from our volunteer placements today to go see a play on family planning (very interesting, but it was in Kinyarwandan so I missed a lot) and to visit a Batwa village (the "Twa" people are an ethnic group that make up less than 1% of Rwanda's population). The Batwa village was especially emotional - they live in abject poverty - but I will write more about it later. I must go to sleep after posting these pictures (I save my favorites online incase my computer dies or is stolen) because we leave early tomorrow morning to go see a Gacaca court (traditional court system where perpetrators of genocide are judged by their peers). And as soon as we get back from Gacaca, we take a bus to Lake Kivu where we will spend two nights.
First photo is of me on the mountain we had to climb to get to the Twa village. Second photo is of a boy at the play who was staring at Jesse's father. (Jesse is our program director and his father has a house in Rwanda and lives here part of the year). Not only was Jesse's dad a muzungu, but he's also pretty old, and to be perfectly honest, there just aren't a lot of old, white people in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment